Re: regarding the floppy boot disk and HTTP installation

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 16:12 +0530, Ankush Grover wrote:
> Hey friends,
>
>  I have to install FC3 on 10 computers in few days time ,the FC3 is on
> DVD means DVD edition and also i  have only one DVDRW in my office.I
> want to use either HTTP/FTP/NFS method for installing FC3 on all the
> computers.I know that the FC3 kernel cannot fit into one floppy.Then
> how to create a cd in which i can start installing FC3 and later on
> give the path for HTTP/FTP/NFS installation.
>
> Please guide me how to create such cd image and how to install FC3
> through HTTP/FTP/NFS method.

In the "images" directory of the DVD is a file called boot.iso. Burn
that image to a CD and use it to boot the installer on your target
machines.

You will need to set up an NFS server on one of your machines. Do you
still have the DVD ISO image you downloaded to create your DVD? If so,
all you need to do is NFS-export the directory containing that ISO
image.

Let's say your server is called "myserver", and the DVD ISO image
is /home/me/downloads/FC3-i386-DVD.iso on that server.

Create a file /etc/exports on myserver containing the following line:

/home/me/downloads *(ro,all_squash,sync)

Then, start up the NFS services:
# service portmap start
# service nfslock start
# service nfs start

You should now be able to see your NFS export:
# showmount -e myserver
/home/me/downloads *

This should work from any client on your LAN. If it doesn't work, try
turning off any firewalls you have on server and client.

Now, boot your client using the CD you created earlier and select NFS as
the install method. The server is myserver and the directory
is /home/me/downloads

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>