Problem origin identification

A question for the more experienced and expert fedora users.

I have encountered several minor, but somewhat unconvenient (sometimes irritating), problems while running FC2. Some of them surfaced on first boot after installation. Others surfaced later as I broadened use of the system. In several instances, the problems appeared to lessen or disappear with kernel and other upgrades. On occasion, critical failures occured promptly following some updates as with initial installation of kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2.

While my system froze up twice in succession shortly after introduction of the .14 kernel, I am more and more suspicious that Gnome and/or its sound applications are contributing factors if not the outright cause of those freezeups. There is also some basis for suspecting X.org.

Some guidance on how best to pinpoint the source(s) of system freezeups would be helpful.