re: sometimes sound

With some applications I can hear sound, with others I cann't.
When playing an audio cd I only hear sound when using digital audio extraction (using xmms). I do not hear sound in the "analog" play mode.

Well, that implies you either do not have an analogue cable between your CD-ROM and your sound card, or it is faulty.

Later, you say:

-I checked the cd-drive for an analog output to be connected to the soundcard, but mine does not seem to have one.

For what it's worth, http://www.omnicast.net/~tmcfadden/guides/build/CDROMrear1.jpg is a good photo of what you should be looking for.

In any case, you will be limited to digital sound and hence xmms without
one.

Gnome cd player seems to work, but without sound.

Gnome CD player assumes an analogue cable...

TV applications (zapping or tv-time) show good video, but no sound.

What TV card do you have?

Now I wonder wether I have to live with this, or if something else is wrong. For instance the sound drivers. In dmesg there is, as far as I can see, no output of loaded sounddrivers.

You wouldn't normally expect there to be one.

Thanks for your reply. I will have another look inside the box.
My tv-card is Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7134 (rev 01)
Peter.