Problems Creating a User Account

Hey everyone:

I just installed Fedora Core 3 a few days ago. During the first boot
configuration, I created a user account. When I attempted to log in, I found that
I could not use the account. I thought I made a mistake somewhere creating the
account, and logged in as root to see what the problem was. When I checked the
Users and Groups program, I found that nothing was listed.

I then tried to make an account from the Users and Groups program. When I typed
in all the needed information and tried to proceed, the program would just hang
when I pressed the OK button. I then tried to create an account using the useradd
command. Whenever I try to, I get an error "useradd: cannot rewrite the password
file."

On IRC, I was told that others have experienced this problem too, and that it was
normally caused by a weird configuration. I tried to work out the problem over
IRC on #fedora, with no luck. I deleted the passwd.lock file, and still got the
same error with useradd. I also noticed that I had been running Up2Date when I
was trying this. After Up2Date finished, I again tried to create an account,
still with no luck.

Looking around with google, just about the only thing I could find on the problem
was BugZilla Bug # 116391, although it deals with shadow passwords. I have been
unable to find any other information on the problem.

Does anyone know what is stopping me from creating an account? Here is the output
of ls -l /etc/passwd:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1441 Feb 23 19:33 /etc/passwd

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Simontis