sometimes sound

Hi,
With some applications I can hear sound, with others I cann't.
When playing an audio cd I only hear sound when using digital audio extraction (using xmms). I do not hear sound in the "analog" play mode. Gnome cd player seems to work, but without sound. TV applications (zapping or tv-time) show good video, but no sound.
The sound card is being detected; after typing "system-config-soundcard"I hear the testsound clearly.
I am reading the posts on this list for a while so I checked a few things that were mentioned before:
- the sound volume icon on the taskbar is set at maximum volume.
- in alsamixer I unmuted every option, put the sliders up to the maximum; then one after the other I muted options, one at a time.
-I checked the cd-drive for an analog output to be connected to the soundcard, but mine does not seem to have one.
-I checked the videocard for an analog sound output, but again I couldn't find one. I opened the box to check for unused outputs on the inside, but could not detect any. This was mentioned in a former post https:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg01133.html

Now I wonder wether I have to live with this, or if something else is wrong. For instance the sound drivers. In dmesg there is, as far as I can see, no output of loaded sounddrivers.

Some info about my system and drivers:
2.6.10-1.766_FC3
# lspci | grep audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0 33249 2
snd_ac97_codec 67489 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss 47989 0
snd_mixer_oss 17089 2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 93001 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 29125 1 snd_pcm
snd 52645 8 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 10017 3 saa7134,snd
snd_page_alloc 9541 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

$ cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
 1 mem
 4 /dev/vc/0
 4 tty
 4 ttyS
 5 /dev/tty
 5 /dev/console
 5 /dev/ptmx
 6 lp
 7 vcs
10 misc
13 input
14 sound
29 fb
36 netlink
81 video4linux
116 alsa
128 ptm
136 pts
171 ieee1394
180 usb

Block devices:
 1 ramdisk
 2 fd
 3 ide0
 8 sd
 9 md
22 ide1
65 sd
66 sd
67 sd
68 sd
69 sd
70 sd
71 sd
128 sd
129 sd
130 sd
131 sd
132 sd
133 sd
134 sd
135 sd
253 device-mapper
254 mdp

# rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-utils-1.0.6-3
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-0.fdr.2.1.90
alsa-lib-1.0.6-7.FC3

Is something missing in my list of modules? How can I check if sound modules are really being loaded? Any hints?
Any help would be appreciated,
Peter.