Re: caching name server

Am Do, den 24.02.2005 schrieb Kumara um 23:55:
> For my small LAN which has 15 computers that shares files, and mainly DSL
> Internet connection, Is it a good idea to have a caching name server there?
> how does a caching name server speed up the share/bandwidth? if it is
> worthful, how could I do it? Please, brief me your ideas.

> Mohan

15 LAN hosts, especially if all have internet access, are a fair amount
of stations for considering running a caching name server on the gateway
host. Such a caching name server saves traffic and bandwidth and thus
improves internet access speed.

yum install caching-nameserver

On the LAN clients point the DNS setting to the gateway host who has the
caching nameserver running.

I would too consider to use squid as a caching proxy on the DSL gateway.

yum install squid

You will have to configure squid a bit (ACLs at least). Either in the
client browsers you will have to define the gateway as a proxy or by
using iptables redirection make the gateway a forced, transparent proxy.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 01:12:13 up 3 days, 12:20, load average: 1.10, 0.72, 0.63