Re: Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

Robert wrote:
Jeff Vian wrote:

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 08:26 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:

Jeff Vian wrote:

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 15:54 +0000, Nigel Wade wrote:

mconsidine@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The hardware brower recognizes this as

  Device Start End   Size(MB)  Type
/dev/hdd
  /hdd1  1     1460  11453     fat32
         1     1460  11453     Free space
  /hdd2  1461  7296  45779     No filesystem
         7297  7298     10     Free space

Sorry for creating any confusion.

The drive has data on it that I want to move over to the FC3
system already installed.  The data is in a Windows
filesystem
structure and I don't want to have to put it into another
system, boot it, hook it up to the LAN, etc.  I just want to
get the existing FC3 system to recognize it so that I can
pull
the large files off that I need.  Once that is accomplished,
repartitioning it using and ext2 or ext3 filesystem would be
perfectly fine.

Imagine the situation as this : you've got a perfectly well-
running FC3 installation.  Now you need more diskspace. Someone
hands you a harddisk that had Win98 and it's filestructure
on
it.  The disk was formatted (apparently) using EZ-Drive. You
are welcome to reformat the disk, but only after copying a
number of files over to the FC3 installation.

That's as clear as I can make the situation.

TIA,
Matt

According to installations instructions I found for EZ-Drive, you cannot use a EZ-Drive formatted disk with anything but Windows. From the partition table you showed earlier that would seem to be the case. /dev/hdd1 shows as FAT32 and may be ok, but the rest of the partition table doesn't make a lot of sense.

What do you get if you run 'fdisk -l /dev/hdd' from a command line?

Now you are tickling some long buried memories.

Is EZ-Drive one of the disk compression tool that were popular some
years ago?   If so, it _will_ only work in Winblows and the only option
I know of is to put it in a windows machine and use the LAN to move the
files.

I have not used those tools since drives of 6GB and larger came
available, but I know they had the driver for the compression on the
boot sector so it will work with Winblows, but not on other OSes.
The actual data was in a compressed file, not written to a filesystem.

This is a good answer. It isn't really a compression program but a translation program to work with larger drives than the bios or OS would handle. I also found that EZ based drives may not work on newer motherboards as they are detected properly by the bios.

Now you are getting back to even more fogged memory. :-)  I dimly
remember a time when drives were larger than the BIOS could recognize
and the drivers needed to map them for BIOS to handle. Have not used a
machine with that old a BIOS for some time though.

I now remember this software and found this link that will explain that what you say is the only way.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/translation.html

Good point, and a handy reference for those times when needed.

Instead of spending all this time to get around the problem, put the drive in an old computer and transfer the files.

I did see that there was a kernel patch some time ago that would allow drives with overlays to work. Search google for an answer.

--
Robin Laing

Speaking of fogged memories, there exists a utility than can recover partition tables. I THINK it will get rid of the evil crap deposited by the likes of Max-Blast and calculate a partition table that will allow the partitions to be mounted by Fedora or Windows. I have an idle drive in another box with stuff dating back to Win3.1 that I thought was lost forever until I found the program.
I'll keep trying to remember the program's name but I'm sure that one of you youngsters will think of it 'way before I do.

Replying to myself followed by a 'duck and cover' maneuver...
The name of the GPL program I mentioned earlier is TESTDISK
You can read instructions and download at http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Good luck!