RE: A few quick newbie questions...

> Using a 200GIG WD harddrive and VIA EPIA M10000 mini-ITX
> motherboard with 512 megs of RAM....
>
> #1 - I do the install, no problems as far as I can tell, then
> it has to do a reboot.  It gets to where it is then asking
> for a "username" in the middle of the screen.  I don't have a
> username.  At some point during the install it forces me to
> put in an admin name or something, but that user/pass doesn't

Yes you do.  At a minimum, you have a username 'root'.  The password is that
which you established for the administrator during installation.  You should
also set up a separate "user's" account and use that account for your
everyday work.

> work.  Is there a way during the install to tell it "hey, no
> freaking user/pass on this computer"?

No.  Linux is a true multiuser and multitasking OS.  Having specific
usernames and passwords allows you to have better control over your system
and makes it more secure.  The tiny inconvenience of logging in is worth the
benefit.

I can think of one way in which you could avoid usernames and passwords
(there may be others) but this is extra work to make the system easier to
break.  Set up users, and save yourself grief.

Log in as user root, with the password you set, and run

system-config-users

at a shell prompt (System Settings > Users and Groups on the menu) to set up
an ordinary user's account.

> #2 - Want to do a dual boot between XP and Linux.  Do I
> partition the harddrive first, then install XP, then install Linux?

That is what I would do to create a dual-boot system.  If you are working on
a system which currently contains XP, reduce the size of your NTFS partition
to make space for Fedora.  Do not alter the small FAT partition which XP has
created (XP needs a FAT partition to work).  Leave the freed up space
unpartitioned.  Anaconda will handle formatting for you when you choose to
install in unpartitioned space.

Hope this helps.   Erik