Re: fedora fc2 problem with display color depth and resolution

Xorg.0.log

(II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip
Accelerated VGA BIOS (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 1.0 (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: Intel Corporation (II) I810(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Intel(r)865G Graphics
Controller

I experienced the same type of problem w/ an 865G. The problem was twofold. The legacy video was set to only 1 MB. Changing it to 8 MB still only allowed the problem that you described. This step still has to be performed.

The next problem was a BIOS version that the computer came with was A03, the BIOS was buggy and needed replaced with BIOS A04.

After you go to the Dell site and get the upgraded bios and install it. You should be able to get great results fro the videocard. The game tuxracer ran better than it has on any other computer that I tried it on. The game is an easy test to check your 3D vdeo performance. I'm assuming you have an Optiplex model. You should be able to see what model you have on the case. Entering BIOS will give you the BIOS you are running.

If I'm not clear with the explanation, the helpful replies to my question are in the archives somewhere for this list and for the fedora-test list. I believe I had the problem somewhere near July 2004.

Upgrade BIOS, change legacy video setting in BIOS to 8 MB, then enjoy!

Jim

--
Politics and the fate of mankind are formed by men without ideals and without
greatness. Those who have greatness within them do not go in for politics.