Re: Shared RAM

Mark Panen wrote:

>Hi
>
>How does this shared RAM story work. My laptop specs state that i have
>512 MB RAM but free only shows about 448, ok so i know 64 is going to
>the vga card.
>
>What my question is, have i got 512 installed or do i have 448
>installed and a 64 MB vga card, maybe i should answer my own quesion
>as i don't think you get 448 MB RAM.
>
>I just don't understand why free shows up 448 and not 512 ? Is the
>vga chip taking the RAM away on boot ?

. . . . good stuff from Pedro removed.

If you want , usually you can change this config on the BIOS from 32 MB up to 128MB (I think.. It's been awhile
since I last used a computer with onboard video)

--
Pedro Macedo

Pedro is correct, but it depends on your system. I have a Dell laptop which handles video memory through the Windows driver, and there is no option to adjust shared RAM in the BIOS. It means that I have control over the resolution and color depth in Windows that I don't have in Fedora. So whether this works depends on the manufacturer. Don't be surprised if you do not have a BIOS setting for this.

I have read on the Fedora list of BIOS patches that correct this, but I have not tried them. Erik