Re: Not able to print to shared OS X printer

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 19:36 -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 19:15 -0500, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:36:03 -0500
> > "Ian P. Thomas" <ipt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> insightfully noted:
> >
> > IPT>The printer I'm trying to print to is shared via OS X.  The printer
> > IPT>shows up in 'Printer Configuration' under 'Browsed Queues' as
> > IPT>'HL-1440_series', with the hostname of the Mac listed under the
> > IPT>'Description' column.  I selected 'Default', a check mark appeared in
> > IPT>the appropriate column, and hit 'Apply'.  I then select Test->CUPS
> > IPT>Test Page.  The following dialog box appears.
> > IPT>
> > IPT>Sent CUPS test page
> > IPT>to 'HL-1440_series' queue.  Does it look okay?
> > IPT>
> > IPT>The print job never makes it to the printer.  The 'Document print
> > IPT>status' shows a 'Status' of Sending that never changes.  Other Macs
> > IPT>can print to this printer without any issues.
> > ================================
> > I doubt it's the printer Ian.  I've been printing to that exact Brother
> > printer for well over a year.  In fact, if memory serves, RH or Fedora
> > (can't remember which at the time) recognized, identified, and set that
> > puppy up without a pinky's worth of intervention from me.  Is this a
> > network connection you're trying??  Or are you using a switch from a
> > parallel port?
> > Mike
>
> It's shared, via a Mac running OS X, over the network.  The OS X system
> has Printer Sharing enabled with the appropriate ports opened on the
> firewall, and other Macs on the network have no trouble detecting and
> printing to this network printer.
----
Try turning off firewall completely.

My guess - and I have no way of testing this, is that Mac users don't
transmit on cups port but transmit on afp over tcp port (548) and thus
the firewall settings to allow for printer sharing apply only to the
Macs.

That's my guess - I was hoping that someone who has done this would pipe
up - obviously the other advice didn't understand your problem.

Craig