Re: New PC - everything supported by Fedora Core 3 ?

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:44, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > I also selected the Plextor PX-716A DVD burner for this unit.  I was
> > able to boot from the FC3 iso disks and load FC3 using that drive just
> > fine.  I connected it to the black IDE connector on the front edge of
> > the mother board.  The only odd thing with this is that FC3 seems to
> > have identified the drive a /dev/hda.
>
> Why do you think this is odd? The hard drives on this system (as you
> said) are SATA, and the latest Intel chipsets only support one PATA
> ( = traditional IDE) channel, which is the one you'll have put it on.
> So if you've jumpered it as master, it will be the primary master, and
> hence /dev/hda.

I was just not expecting that is all.  :)  I would have thought the DVD
burner (Plextoor PX-716A) no the IDE bus would show up as /dev/dvd or
/dev/cdrom.  Not a big deal as long as it works.  :)

> > I am using only SATA type hard drives (four Maxtor 300GB drives).
> > Apparently smartd does not work with SATA drives, or at least not with
> > these SATA drives.  For now I have just disabled smartd to prevent the
> > failure message on reboot.
>
> It is, apparently, coming "very soon":
> http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html#smart

Good to know!

> > I should also note that my motherboard has two SATA controllers, each
> > can support 4 SATA hard drives.  The Silicon 3114R controller works out
> > of the box and saw my hard drives.  Currently have all four hard drives
> > connected to the Silicon 3114R controller.
>
> A quick Google suggests that this is connected via a standard PCI
> connection. This could get saturated by simultaneous accesses to only
> two of those disks: just something to bear in mind.

I originally intended to have two drives on each controller for that
reason.  At some point  will probably reconfigure this system that way.
I think the problem may have been a bios setting on that controller for
quick scan of the drives.  I don't think it took enough time to see the
drives so it failed and moved on.

For now I am concentrating on getting the rest of the mythtv stuff
working.  Made progress this morning on the remote control but still
have to make some adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Scot L. Harris