Re: New PC - everything supported by Fedora Core 3 ?

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I also selected the Plextor PX-716A DVD burner for this unit.  I was
> able to boot from the FC3 iso disks and load FC3 using that drive just
> fine.  I connected it to the black IDE connector on the front edge of
> the mother board.  The only odd thing with this is that FC3 seems to
> have identified the drive a /dev/hda.

Why do you think this is odd? The hard drives on this system (as you
said) are SATA, and the latest Intel chipsets only support one PATA
( = traditional IDE) channel, which is the one you'll have put it on.
So if you've jumpered it as master, it will be the primary master, and
hence /dev/hda.

> I am using only SATA type hard drives (four Maxtor 300GB drives).
> Apparently smartd does not work with SATA drives, or at least not with
> these SATA drives.  For now I have just disabled smartd to prevent the
> failure message on reboot.

It is, apparently, coming "very soon":
http://linux.yyz.us/sata/software-status.html#smart

> I should also note that my motherboard has two SATA controllers, each
> can support 4 SATA hard drives.  The Silicon 3114R controller works out
> of the box and saw my hard drives.  Currently have all four hard drives
> connected to the Silicon 3114R controller.

A quick Google suggests that this is connected via a standard PCI
connection. This could get saturated by simultaneous accesses to only
two of those disks: just something to bear in mind.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | 'In a serial interface, the data bits move down a
Exeter    Devon    UK | single channel one after the other, like railway