Compiling the drivers for a ADSL Modem (IceData500)

Hello all,

I need to put my ADSL Modem to work under Red Hat Linux 7.3.
My modem model is IceData500 and the vendor says it is compatible with RH
7.3 and they even  provice drivers.

Please help me because I really would like to get rid(this is probably bad
spelled) of Windows...

In the readme file they say something about "compiling", "include files in
the kernel source", etc. (please see bellow). Well, my problem is that I am
new to Linux and I never compiled anything but my c "Hello World" 2 lines of
code programs (and I am a very bad c programmer) with only one header file
stdio.h. So compiling an operating system is something unimagible for me. I
installed my RH 7.3 from some CDs that came together with a book a bougth
and liked it (RH 7.3) a lot (this was a while ago thats why it is 7.3 and
not a more recent version and my computer is an old laptop Pentium II 400Mhz
256M RAM).

So, I don't even know if I got the source files installed on my system? If
yes, where should they be? If not, where can I get them? Do I need them to
compile the drivers for the modem? Please take a look at the readme file of
the modem which I attach bellow. I think this won't be no easy task for a
linux newbie.

By the way... they say that we must set a variable: how do I do that in
linux?

Thanks to you all linux gurus in advance

***
******************* README
***
The software for the UNICORN ADSL PCI card consists of two loadable drivers,
the unicorn_atm.o and unicorn_pci.o. The unicorn driver is a standard Linux
ATM driver, that performs segmentation and reassembly (SAR) and flow
control.
The unicorn_pci driver contains the ADSL modem software and hardware related
functions. It has been tested with the Linux 2.4.x kernels. Note that to use
PPPoE, PPPoA or RFC2684 protocols, the kernel may need to be patched.

COMPILATION:

To compile the drivers, unzip and untar the file. In the unicorn directory
you
will find the two subdirectories unicorn_atm and unicorn_bus.
You may compile the drivers based on the include files in the kernel source
or standard kernel include files. Set the variable KERNELDIR in the
Makefile's
to point to your kernel sources if the first option in chosen.
If you choose the latter, you may need to copy the contents of the kernel
source "include/net" directory into "/usr/include/net/".
Go into these subdirectories and do a "make" and a "make install".
If the compile option "USE_HW_TIMER" is set, the performance is increased,
but the CPU load increased.
Use the same compiler as you use when compiling the linux kernel. The driver
has
been tested using gcc-2.96, gcc-2.95.2, gcc-2.91.66 and gcc 3.0.3.

INSTALLATION:

To start the ADSL software, do a "modprobe unicorn_pci". Check in the syslog
that
the drivers are started OK. The ADSL line should come up automatically. The
status
can also be checked using the "proc" interface (/proc/net/atm/UNICORN\:0".
SHOWTIME in the log or in the status means that ADSL connction is up and ATM
cells
may be transmitted and received.
Depending on your network setup, you will need additional software as with
any other
ADSL ATM card. For bridged ethernet (RFC2684), the br2684.o module and brctl
is needed.
For PPPoE, any pppoe client over the bridged interface (nas0) should work
(Roaring Penguin pppoe client has been tested).
The scripts directory contains some example startup scripts.

Bridged (RFC2684) and PPP over Ethernet:
Depending on your kernel, you may need to patch the kernel and enable the
option
"RFC1483/2684 Bridged protcols" under "Networking options". Also ATM support
needs
to be enabled.
Also the user space daemon "brctl" is needed. Instructions on how to apply
the
patch and the brctl and patch sources can be found at
http://www.zoftware.org/adsl-pppoe.

PPP over ATM:
For PPP over ATM, the module pppoatm.o is needed, together with the pppd
plugin
pppoatm.so and a version of pppd that supports plugins.
Currently version ppp-2.4.0b2 supports PPPoATM plugins. A patched version
ready for
PPPoATM can be found at http://www.sourceforge.net/.

PPPoATM specific pppd options:
llc-encaps: use LLC encapsulation for PPPoATM
vc-encaps: use VC multiplexing for PPPoATM (default)

MODULE PARAMETERS:

Some ADSL paramters can be controlled by setting the moule paramters.

unicorn_pci.o:
--------------

ActTimeout: Timeout in ms on the duration of the activation state.

ActivationMode: This parameter sets in what mode the ADSL modem should be
activated.
ANSI mode is 1, G.lite is 2, G.dmt is 4 and MULTI mode is 3.
If you know what mode your DSLAM operates in, use this mode. If not select
either
ANSI or MULTI mode.

DownstreamRate: The maximum downstream rate in Kbit/sec.

AutoActivation: Set this to 1 if you your ADSL modem to start auotmatically
(default 1).

DebugLevel: To debug the driver, set this to a value different from 0 and
enable DEBUG
when compiling.

MswDebugLevel: 0 - High level, all traces enabled, 1 - Medium level, info
and warnings
enabled, 2 - Low level, only warnings and errors are traced.

LCD_Trig: Persistency time (in msec) of Loss of Cell Deliniation defects
before
disorderly shutdown (15000 default).

LCD_LOF_Trig: Persistency time (in msec) of Loss of Signal and Loss of Frame
defects before
disorderly shutdown (5000 default).

TrainingDelay: Delay in msec used in training sequence. Default 80.

useRFCFixedRate: If 1, rate adaptive disabled. To use with ECI DSLAM in ITU
mode.

_no_TS652: If set to 1, enable gain table for use without TS652.

unicorn_atm.o:
--------------

mac_address: If this is specified, the bridged ethernet (RFC2684) will use
this
mac (ethernet) address instead of a randomly generated address. Specified as
12 character ASCII string of hexadecimal numbers.

atmready_timeout: The time in seconds to wait for ADSL link up when opening
the ATM
socket (default 20 seconds).

DebugLevel: Set this if you need to debug the driver.

DIV:

mswtest contains a simple program to start/stop and get statistics from the
ADSL card.
Depending on your distribution, you may need to install atm support
(atm-2.4.0) to
compile this program.

RELEASE NOTES:

Version 0.0.5:
- first working version.

Version 0.0.6:
- Corrected an error when performing shutdown of the machine.
- The modem sw compiled with CPU option 386.
- Cleanups in the Makefile's.
- Removed un-compiled code in the ATM driver.

Version 0.0.7:
- Internal version.

Version 0.0.8:
- Simplified the Makefile's.

Version 0.0.9:
- Locking the module (MOD_INC_USE_COUNT) in unicorn_atm_open to be sure that
module is
not removed while in use.
- New version of modem software.

Version 0.1.0:
- New modem software (1.0.7D) with fixes for ECI DSLAMs.
- The ActivationMode parameter values has changed. Please update your
scripts !

Version 0.1.1:
- Added the _assert_fail function in linrapi.c to support certain versions
of
libm.a.
- Fixed a bug where timer structures were allocated but never released that
may
cause failures after several hours of operation.
- Cleaned up and added debug code to memory allocation functions is
linrapi.c.

Version 0.1.2:
- Initialize timer structure in xsm_create to avoid error when unloading
driver.
- Conditionally call complete_and_exit depending on kernel version.

Version 0.1.3:
- New modem software (1.0.7E) with fixes for ECI DSLAMs.
- Test program (cmdtest) added.

Version 0.2.0:
- New modem software (1.0.7e-B-LINUX) that fixes the interoperability
problems with ECI DSLAMs
and works in G.dmt mode.
- A kernel panic when halting the machine has been fixed.
- The OBC semaphore in the PCI_xxx functions is only released after PCI bus
read.
- Added C++ support for gcc 3.0.

Version 0.2.1:
- Using xtime instead of get_fast_time(), since this function is not longer
exported in kernel 2.4.18.

Version 0.2.2:
- Using del_timer instead of del_timer_sync. This version works with SMP
enabled.
- More tracing of MSW parameters.
- Removed some compiler warnings in unicorn_atm.
- New modem software (PCI_1.0.7f).

Version 0.2.3:
- Return an error in unicorn_atm_send if ADSL link is down. This avoids a
kernel freeze with pppd.
- Add a prefix to KERN_INFO log messages.
- The "pilot tracking error" is a PRINT_WARNING instead of PRINT_ERROR.

Version 0.2.4:
- Set the PCI DMA access grant timeout to maximum to avoid a problem on ASUS
motherboards.
- Use the writel/readl macros to access PCI registers.
- Modem software with UseVCXO to 0 as default in order to connect in ANSI
mode.
- Fix a problem detecting linux version.
- Renamed the "cmdtest" folder to "unicorntest".

Version 0.2.6:
- The upstream cell rate calculation has been fixed. The actual link rate
should now be quite close
to the theoretical max. This is very important for low speed links.
- New modem software (1.0.7i2).

Version 0.2.7:
- Ooops, forgot some debug code in unicorn_atmdrv.c.

Version 0.2.8:
- Undefined symbol fwrite when using a certain version of libm.a.

Version 0.2.9:
- Cleanups due to porting to PowerPC.
- In timer_callback, restart timer before put_msg to avoid race condition
(and kernel panic).
- Make the driver ready for ST70136 AFE.
- OBC timer increased to 250ms.

Version 0.3.0:
- Removed a syslog when calling xtm_stopmsgtimer with invalid timer.
- Do not modify nice value, since the task_struct is dependent on the kernel
version.

Version 0.3.1:
- Changed the values of the DMA max burst size.
- Modifications to Makefile.

Version 0.3.2:
- The modem software used by default is the 1.07f version, since this has
proved to
be the most stable. This can be changed in the Makefile if needed.
- There was a divide by zero panic if the HZ was greater than 1000.
- Modifications to Makefile.

Version 0.3.3:
- Setting the PCI latency timer to 255 (correctly this time..).

Version 0.3.4:
- Remove #include <libiberty.h> from collect_tors.c
- DBG macro changed to KERN_DEBUG log level.

Version 0.3.5:
- New modem software (1.0.8) that works with Alcatel DSLAM v 4.2.13.
- Using mutex'es to protect access to OBC.
- Compile options moved to Makefile's.

Version 0.3.6:
- Implemented retry in the OBC access functions.
- Do not return error if not SHOWTIME in unicorn_atm_open (compile option).
- The compile option USE_HW_TIMER not defined by default.

Version 0.3.8:
- First working version of USB driver. It only works with the "uhci" host
controller driver.
- Some small fixes in unicorn_atmdrv.c to correctly display the link speed.
- Included the libm.a with the modem SW library, since this library is not
installed on some recent Linux distributions.
- Simplified the Makefile's and moved the binaries into the arc/i386
subfolder.

Version 0.3.9:
- First version that works with usb-uhci driver. In this case FrameNumber=12
must be passed as module parameter.
- Added a script to establish Routed IP over ATM connections. Note that this
script has not been tested.

Version 0.4.0:
- Automatically detect the type of USB Host Controller driver and set
FrameNumber accordingly.
- New version (1.0.9) of modem software with new pilot tone detection
algorithm.
- Use INT instead of OBC ISOC usb pipes in SHOWTIME.

Version 0.4.1:
- The USB bandwidth needed reduced from 90% to about 30% (512Kbits
downstream).
- The driver is now ready for cards and adapters with new Analog Front Ends
(20174).

Version 0.4.2:
- Licence added.

Version 0.4.3:
- The unicorn_usbdrv.c now compiles with kernel 2.4.20.

Version 0.4.4:
- Wrong fix in unicorn_usbdrv.c with kernel 2.4.20.
- Removed a few warning printks that are not really errors.

Version 0.4.5:
- Another wrong fix in unicorn_usbdrv.c with kernel 2.4.20.
- Ignoring errors in USB Interrupt Read if length is OK.

Version 0.4.7:
- Added support for AAL0 (raw) cells.
- Added a few ioctl's for the status application (coming later).
- The modem software library has been patched to remove strings containing
"gcc2_copmpiled".
The driver now loads correctly on RedHat 8.0.
- The floating point library libm.a is no longer in the package. Please
install it if with
your distribution (Mandrake 9.0) it is not installed. It is normally in
/usr/lib/.
- There are two transmit queues with different priorities. This is in order
to add support
for CBR,VBR streams. This is very preliminary and if you have any comment,
please contact me.

Version 0.4.8:
- New graphical application "bewan_adsl_status" that shows the adsl state.
- Automatic detection of of adsl parameters using TR-037 or trial and error
("adsl-autoconfig").
- New start/stop script ("unicorn-adsl") that is using adsl-autoconfig.

Version 0.5.0:
- The source for the graphical application "bewan_adsl_status" included.
- New top-level Makefiles. To build the complete package, go to unicorn and
type:
make,make install, make -f Makefile.modules, make -f Makefile.modules
install.
- New modem software library compiled with GCC3.
- Correctly handing module versioning.

Version 0.5.1:
- C++ stubs added that was needed if the modules are compiled with GCC 2.
- Changes in the Makefile's, it now checks the PCI register and if there is
a unicorn PCI card,
it builds the PCI module else the USB module is built.

Version 0.5.2:
- French localization of bewan_adsl_status finished.
- The unlock_kernel is now called before running the kernel thread.
- Some changes in the Makefile's. If you have both PCI and USB adapters, you
can force building
the USB adapter by: make -f Makefile.modules pci install_pci

Version 0.5.3:
- Patches against the latest kernels in "patches" directory.
- Small fix in adsl-autoconfig to not write the config file if VPI,VCI not
found.
- README for adsl-autoconfig added.

Version 0.5.4:
- Small modification in unicorntest.
- Small modification in unicorn_atmdrv.c to make it compile on new kernels.

Version 0.5.5:
- Script unicorn-ipoatm, unciorn-adsl and adsl autoconfig modified to work
with provider free.

Version 0.6.0:
- New driver with Ethernet (instead of ATM) interface added to project. This
driver supports
RFC2684 routed (ipoatm), RFC2684 bridged (br2684,pppoe), and PPP over ATM
with standard pppoe
dialers. Note that this driver is in developement and the bewan_adsl_status
application
and unicorntest does not work with this driver yet.

Version 0.6.1:
- Small modification in linrapi.c to make it compile with gcc 3.3.
- Added /proc entry for the unicorn_eth driver.

Version 0.6.2:
- Do not wake up tosca thread when disabling tosca soft interrupts.

Version 0.6.3:
- Added lock in CopySoftIntrTable since there are problems on SMP machines.
- The status application is now redimensioanable.

Version 0.6.4:
- Status and unicorntest application works with unicorn_eth drivers.
- Verify encapsulation in unicorn_eth driver.

Version 0.7.0:
- The bus drivers are now statically linked with the net drivers to simplify
things.
For example, the PCI ATM driver is now called "unicorn_pci_atm.o",and can be
loaded by doing
 "insmod unicorn_pci_atm.o".
- Reorganized the files so that source files are not shared between PCI and
USB drivers, except
when identical
- The Makefile's has been simplified. To compile and install all drivers and
applications,
it is enough to do "make install" as root.
- The scripts has been simplified and will use the ethernet driver for
PPPoE, Bridged and
IP over ATM.

Version 0.7.1:
- Implemented OAM loopback in the drivers. This is necessary in order to
work with Telecom Italia lines.

Version 0.7.2:
- Removed the 'autoconfig', since I don't think it is used and did not work
with the
new OAM loopback in the drivers.
- Added a new 'tools' directory. This contains simple tools to get the
status, get the status as a
cgi application and send OAM pings.
- Force the threads to run on CPU #0 only. Hopefully this hack will make it
work on SMP.
- Some changes to the Makefile's.

Version 0.7.3:
- unicorntest compiled with DEBUG.
- Remove old versions of the files unicorn_atm.o,unicorn_pci.o and
unicorn_usb.o in lib/modules/.

Version 0.7.4:
- Fixes in the Makefiles.
- Workaround for SMP disconnection.
- Lock around TOSCA interrupts (for SMP).
- Setting useAFE based on board id.
- Minor changes in adsl parameters.

Version 0.7.5:
- Fixes for compile problems on newer kernels (versions 2.4.23, 2.6.0).

Version 0.7.6:
- Minor fixes for compile problem with gcc 2.95.

Version 0.7.7:
- Include the sources for libm.a, since this library is not installed
with all distributions.
- Use a mutex to serialize all the rAPI threads. This may fix a
problem on SMP machines.

Version 0.7.8:
- New modem software with support for AFE 20174.

Version 0.8.0:
- New modem software for USB with support for AFE 20174 (fixed).

Version 0.8.1:
- Missing symbol unicorntest.c fixed.
- Fixing compile problem on RH9, SUSE9 kernels.
- highCarrierOff set to 230 instead of 240 (interopearbility).
- Fixed an OOPS in oam_ping when pinging and not in SHOWTIME.

Version 0.8.6:
- The driver should build and work for kernel 2.6.
- Retry isoc atm reads in case of error.

Version 0.8.7:
- Fixed a crash on low-bandwidth lines (< 320Kbits) by increasing the
number of ISO packets in the urb's from 20 to 40.
- Italian localization thanks to Stefano Palmeri.

Version 0.8.8:
- New modem software (0.1.0.8) for PCI with bug fix for Globespan
DSLAM.
- Added cell counters in T_StateInfo record (for cgi for example).

Version 0.8.9:
- New modem software (0.1.0.10) for PCI with bug fix for Globespan
DSLAM and other interoperability fixes.
- Fixed a bug where changing USB bandwidth dynamically prevented the
adapters with AFE 20174 to work on kernel 2.6.
- Compile problem on kernel 2.6.9 fixed.

Version 0.9.0:
- Now compiles with gcc-3.4.
- Compiles with SMP on 2.6.

KERNEL 2.6 NOTES:
To build the modules you may need to build them in the module
directory (unicorn_usb/unicorn_pci) instead of using the top-level
Makefile. The error appears when doing MODPOST.

IMPORTANT USB NOTES:
For USB to work correctly, I recommend using kernel 2.4.22 or later, since a
lot of bugs has
been fixed in the UHCI and OHCI drivers since early 2.4 kernel releases.
If you have a 2.4.21 kernel (Mandrake 9.1 or 2.4.21-xx) you need to patch
the
usb-uhci and usb-ohci drivers to avoid a freeze when starting the
unicorn_usb_xxx module.
Copy the patches to the linux source directory and do:
patch -p0 < usb-uhci.patch
patch -p0 < usb-ohci.patch