Display Fonts Are Too Small

I'm running FC2 and using the nvidia binary driver. The display program to access the video drivers (and if memory servers, something to cause the fonts to be larger) won't run. How can I get the size of the text on the desktop and elsewhere to be larger? I'm running an ATSC 1080i screen for watching HDTV and the screen size is 1920 x 1080 interlaced. The text tends to be very small (and the interlace doesn't help!). It's a pain to have to try to adjust the text size in each program or shell separately and it doesn't affect the desktop text.

Rick B.