Re: How to boot into run level 3 bash shell with recue cd

On Friday 18 February 2005 07:09, Barry Yu wrote:

> I think I didn't make my self clear, what I need is : In case the
> bootloader (grub) is corrupted, fc1 can use a boot floppy to boot
> into bash shell,  and the user can start the x window from there
> to go to desktop to start working, how can I do the same thing in
> fc3 ( The boot floppy won't work any more due to kernel size
> bigger than a floppy).

Will this help? ( from the GRUB info pages ) When booting from it
you can edit the grub stanza on the fly, if necessary, to start
from your desired vmlinuz, initrd, etc located on the hard drive.

Regards, Mike Klinke

3.1 Creating a GRUB boot floppy
===============================

To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files `stage1'
and `stage2' from the image directory, and write them to the first
and the second block of the floppy disk, respectively.

*Caution:* This procedure will destroy any data currently stored on
the floppy.

On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following
commands:

     # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
     # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
     1+0 records in
     1+0 records out
     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
     153+1 records in
     153+1 records out
     #

The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your
OS.