Re: User groups

Thanks!

Deron Meranda wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:32:35 -0500, Jan Morales <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I started using Unix a long time ago, before the practice of having one
group per user emerged. You used to have one group, e.g. "users", that
all users were members of and everyone's umask was 022. Now user "joe"
is a member of group "joe" and his umask is 02. Can someone point me to
a reference for the rationale for this scheme? I don't really understand
it yet. Thanks!

This is a Red Hat convention, called User Private Groups (UPG), for which
they modified the shadow-utils package (which includes the useradd command).

The discussion about this feature is here:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups.html