Re: Slightly OT: Greylisting another take

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 10:00 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Consider a smart host the same thing as routing mail through your ISP.
> > Mail servers look at the client and the client's reverse pointer. This
> > has nothing to do with the sender (you). Many servers (including ours)
> > insists on a FQDN for the sender and HELO; That is sender@do-not-
> > reply.notld cannot send mail to our users nor can helo=<hello-world>.
> ----
> not sure I understand

"and it couldn't resolve my smtp server via reverse dns"

The recipient isn't doing anything with YOUR (sender) IP. The client is
the smart host. The server will attempt to resolve the RDNS of the
client and only the client.

Client = IP Address which ie "connect from sub.domain.tld [IP Address]"
Sender = you@xxxxxxxxxx ie "from=<fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx>"

--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam: http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm