Re: Totally Peeved-Fedora3 Upfrade Errors

Mark Sargent wrote:
On Thursday 17 February 2005 11:19 am, James Mckenzie wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Feb 17, 2005 9:13 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Totally Peeved-Fedora3 Upfrade Errors

It turns off DMA access for the CD drives. It'll be slower but it
*might* alleviate the problem you're having.

Some CD devices do not implement DMA support 'correctly'. Using this parameter forces all CD like devices (CD, CD-writers and DVD drives) to use Polled I/O mode, which is definately 'slower' for most DASD (Hard drives), but may not appear slower for CD drives. If you use the ide=nodma parameter, you can see the effect of placing the entire IDE interface in PIO mode (it is much slower than DMA mode.)

--
James McKenzie
Running Fedora Core 3 on a Thinkpad A22p with Software Suspend 2 and

Hi All,

okay, thanx guys, but, could I have that in plain English, thanx. How does it in fact change, possibly, my problem..? Cheers.

Your problem appeared to be that your media wasn't being read properly from your CD drive. Turning off DMA in this way *may* fix it.

P.S. Your timezone setting is still set for EST (-0500) instead of Japanese time (+0900).

Paul.