Re: Boot from ICH6R Intel Software SATA Raid?

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 22:44, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well I'm back after a long absence, mainly work related, but also due to
> a hardware upgrade that has effectively left me Linux-less ... specifically:
>
> Gigabyte GA-8ANXP-D mobo
>
> 2 x WD Raptor 74GB RAID0 (Boot + OS)
> 2 x Maxtor 400GB RAID0 (Data + Scratch)
> All running off an Intel 82801FR SATA Raid Controller (ICH6R)
>
> 2 x Plextor 712SA SATA DVD+-RW
> Both running off a Silicon Image 3114 SATA Raid Controller
>
> Currently I have WinXP occupying half of the first raid volume, and I
> wish to dual boot with FC3 (or FC4 later).
>
> All my attempts at installing a multitude of different Linux distros on
> this setup have failed (can't find disks), however FC3 seems to have
> come the closest to succeeding.
>
>  From research, this is what I need AFAICT:
>
> libata (ata_piix)
> ataraid (iswraid)
> dmraid

I recently purchased a new system (and am working through getting it
fully operational).  I solicited input from the list as I had considered
installing a SATA DVD drive (may be the same one you list above).  My
worry was not being able to boot from it.  The replies I got back
indicated that fear was well founded.  Apparently SATA support for
CD/DVD drives is problematic at this time.  You may find more
information on the developers list about this.

As an alternative I selected a Plextor PX-716A/SW IDE burner.  So far
this has worked flawlessly with the ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe board I selected.
That board also has an ITE8212 as well as a Sil 3114R sata raid
controllers.  The Sil 3114R controller seems to work just fine.  However
I have not tried it in raid mode yet.  I am currently running four
Maxtor 300GB sata drives off of it.  The other sata crontroller appears
to use the same libata you mentioned above but on first pass it did not
recognize the drives when I had them on that controller.  I may have
fixed that since the first test as I modified the bios options.  There
was a quick scan option mode for that controller and it appears that it
may miss drives in that mode.  The down side is that the system takes a
couple of seconds longer to boot now.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
		-- Benjamin Franklin.