Re: fc3 and 2 mice

On Thursday 17 February 2005 13:44, Paul D. Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new here, so I hope this has not been asked too recently.
>
> I have installed core 3 on my laptop and would like to use the synaptics
> driver (with synclient) with my touch pad as well as use an external
> mouse. Could someone offer me some guidance as to how I set this up? I
> have used system-config-mouse to set the touchpad as "synaptics", but am
> not sure how to set up the external usb mouse (MS intellipoint). Which
> device should each one be assigned (/dev/input/mice etc...)?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Paul

I have 2 working mice on my fc3 dual-head workstation.  One is a ps/2 wheel
mouse and the other is a USB/wireless optical wheel mouse (Targus PAWM10).
It was about 10$ after rebate just before Christmas.  I could not resist
buying it. :-)

Here is what I had to do to get it working (all changes done as root):
1--backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

2--add the following line to the ServerLayout section of xorg.conf
 InputDevice    "Mouse1"  "AlwaysCore"

 i put it right after the InputDevice line for Mouse0

3--add the following section to xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier  "Mouse1"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option     "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
 Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

        i put it right after the InputDevice section for Mouse0 just to keep
        them together.  adjust the options as necessary for your device.

4--save the updated xorg.conf file and restart the X server using
     init 3  followed by  init 5
     or
     ctrl+alt+backspace   in your X session which will kill the X server.
 it will be automagically restarted

5--mouse around!

I found that the optical mouse is much more sensitive to movement than my ball
mouse.  I use KDE and adjusted the acceleration in Peripherals->Mouse
Advanced tab of the KDE control center.  This does not have separate control
for each mouse tho so slowing down the optical mouse also slowed down the
ball mouse.

I actually don't use the optical mouse much on the desktop because of the
difference in acceleration and really plan to use it with my laptop but just
have not set it up there yet.

There is only one mouse pointer on the screen which both mice control.  I
would be cool if there could be one for each mouse but i have not
investigated whether or not it is possible.  A rainy day project.

I did this originally on RedHat 9.0 and made the same changes on fc3 and it
worked.

Hope this helps you getting yours going

paul

--