Re: Can I run a 2.4 Kernel on FC3

James Wilkinson wrote:
John Wendel asked:

I need to connect a usb card reader that has a device driver that only
works with a 2.4 kernel (like RH9). Before I go to the trouble of
downloading, configuring, flailing, has anyone ever run a 2.4 kernel on
an FC3 system? Will the hotplug stuff work? How about udev?

Steve Snyder wrote:

Yes, you can. I sometimes run a 2.4.x kernel on my FC2 system, to test

^^^

the software that I write.

FC3 takes more advantage of 2.6 (than FC2 did): as John thought, udev
and hotplug rely on the /sys work that was done during 2.5 development.
(And that work was largely responsible for the change in ABI that means
the original device driver won't work in 2.6)...

You probably could get something working with a static /dev and manually
configuring stuff that FC3 normally leaves to hotplug. But it wouldn't
be a standard FC3, and you'd have to be very careful while upgrading.

Hint: on the fedora-devel or fedora-test list recently, it was pointed
out that
chattr +i $filename
will stop practically *anything* upgrading that file!

James.

Thanks for the tips! Not what I wanted to hear, but I figured the /dev issue would be a PITA. Maybe I'll have to convert my old play box to RH9, I don't think I'm up for the challenge.

Regards,

John