Re: Samba and hardware

Daniel Chénard wrote:

So, which kind of hardware I need for this purpose: Samba in PDC with
400 Clients (200 simultaneus clients ?  ( dont ask for the disk space)

Or

How many simultaneus clients can I serve with a Xeon 900Mhz with 2 Gig
Ram??

If I put 10 samba uses on a hot machine and they all start doing massive disk moves, the cabling insfrastructure or the disk subsystem may limit what other folks can accomplish in a reasonable time, so in that case the answer is 10.

Your question has so many answers that its somewhat meaningless.

We've got engineering firms with over 100 users running CAD applications against 2.4GHz uniprocessor P4's without a problem. The servers are idling most of the time. They manipulate huge files too. The reason this works is because random human activity prevents them from all doing intensive things at the same time.

You'd have to supply more information about what you want to accomplish and what your users do to get a better estimate.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx