Re: Linux and Spywares - lack of reading

From: "Brian Ashe" <rhlist@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Tuesday February 15, 2005 10:41 pm, jdow wrote:
> > They had another reference today - it was a spyware application. If a
> > spyware can be tossed onto the machine then a rootkit can, also.
>
> Explain to us all how a rootkit will infect a machine just because spyware
> can. This isn't Windows.
>
> You need to learn more about what a rootkit is and does.

If you have the system locked down sufficiently rootkits are not going
to have an easy time. If your system has any leakages such as a few
weak passwords then it may be possible to compromise it. One thing I
have noticed is that the easier the system is to use for users the more
porous the system is to attack. Desktop systems may be a problem as
compared to single purpose server machines, for example.

I'm not sure I'd bury my head in the sand about preventative type tools
on the system. I rather suspect as more and more crackers decide that
Linux systems are more interesting to crack there will be more exploits
used and Linux systems compromised. I'm merely thinking ahead a little.

{^_^}