Re: newbie in trouble - recovering fstab

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
You appear to indeed be out of space.
Find something that should not be there and delete it to clear out space
so the system can write the needed temporary files.

I've emptied /tmp and /var/log and been through my old /home dir. "df" still reports disk 100% full! Does mv and rm actually free up space? I've done that one several MB of stuff, but it hasn't changed the result of df...

/var/log and /tmp are 2 very dynamic areas that often can fill up extra
space. But in your case, it is likely the data that was copied over when
trying to move stuff to another partition.

Use df to see what space is available, then du to see what parts of the
directory tree are overloaded.  It should not take a lot of space to
allow rebooting but probably a lot of careful pruning of the junk to
clean up.

I just had another look at df and thought I'd show you the odd result:

                  1k Blocks     Used         Available    Use      Mounted on
/dev/hda8    7439683        7196888    0               100%     /

Odd - right? There should be nearly 300MB free! (if I've read it right)

Ideas? - Duncan

There is room for around 300MB more data on your disk before you get "out of space", but only root can use this space; this extra space is generally reserved by the OS for disk management purposes. Regular users can only write files when the "Available" space is more than zero i.e. "Use" is < 100%.

You'll need to delete more files. If you're a yum user, try "yum clean packages" and see what happens (you might want to look in /var/cache/yum/*/packages before and after doing this).

Paul.