Re: router availability

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 06:52, Bob Chiodini wrote:

> Douglas,
>
> If you are strictly looking for redundancy then what you have done
> should work.  If you want to specify a preferred router then take a look
> at the metric option to the route command.  Lower numbers are more
> preferred.

So how does the system use two default routes on the same subnet?  Does
it send packets to both devices?  If it does not then how does it decide
when to send packets to the second default route?

> Also, if you can set up HSRP (Cisco-ish) of VRRP (IETF-ish) on the two

I meant HSRP previously.  :)

> routers then you would only have one default router configured on each
> host and, the routers, through MAC address and IP address manipulation
> will take care of every thing else (IIRC).

This is the only way I know for sure to provide redundancy for the
default router.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

In any problem, if you find yourself doing an infinite amount of work,
the answer may be obtained by inspection.