Re: How is FC3 ACPI on laptops these days?

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:02:36 +0100, Peter Boy
<pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 16.02.2005, 16:30 +0800 schrieb Dexter Ang:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > As the last version of Fedora I've used was FC2, I'm wondering about
> > the current 'condition' of FC3. I'm using a Thinkpad T30. Going
> > through the archives, I didn't really see any info regarding ACPI
> > status.
>
> Currently I'm using a TP 40p with FC3 and FC3 ACPI. FC3 doesn't include
> any client script. You have to write them yourself or collect them by
> searching the archives. I use it for suspend to RAM (closing the lid or
> fn+f4) and shutdown via power switch. The power-drain bug is present,
> but otherwise it works very well for me. ACPI does not recognize the
> other Thinkpad key combinations as Fn+F12 etc so I can't use them. ACPI
> events are logged in var/log and I didn't notice an event that is not
> recognized (others as the above key combinations).

Interesting. I guess I'll be sticking to good old APM for FC3 then. By
the way, you'll have to load and configure ibm-acpi module for Fn-F12,
and most other events to be detected. It should come with kernel
2.6.10, but on older kernels you'll have to compile by hand available
at ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net.

> If power consumption is critical and I have to go to S3 quite often I
> boot into APM but otherwise ACPI works fine for me.

This will be a bit of pain. I don't really understand why at the
moment, but using APM seems to drain the batteries much faster than
using ACPI. I've never noticed this, and have never really
experimented with the differences, so I may be wrong.

> Peter

Thanks for the reply.
dex