Re: /dev/nst0

Beast wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

/dev/nst0) for that; if you used a rewinding device node then the tape would be rewound after writing each file to the tape and the next file would overwrite the one just written.

Thanks Paul, I still have a question.

If I have new tape (or old but unused tape), should it need to be formated first or just erase/overwrite is suficient? Is there any standard file format for tape drive?

I'm not sure. I think in most cases you can just erase or overwrite it but some tape technologies may require formatting first.

Try it and see, e.g. archive your home directory:

$ cd ~
$ tar cvf /dev/st0 .

Then see what's on the tape:

$ tar tvf /dev/st0