Re: FC3 DNS issues

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 22:44 -0500, Bill wrote:
> Just wanted to put in my 2cents on recommended GUI that Wayne is looking
> for. I have used Webmin for a fewe years now. Yes it has had some issues
> and like any other software tool it has grown. I would highly recommend
> using it, getting the latest version, and depending on which version of
> bind you use it comes stock with bind-8 or you can download a module for
> bind-9 if needed. My experience with system-config-bind is not a good
> one. I commented on it here back a few weeks ago. I have not tried any
> recent updates of it yet, but if you need to work with multiple OSs' and
> have reason to remotely access a machine from another, then Webmin is
> the way to go.
>
> My recent problem is new to me and very strange. Today I fixed my DNS
> server and now have all networked machines working well. Just one thing
> has occurred in the process and I don't know why yet.
>
> Although DNS is working extremely well, I can not do a 'service named
> stop', start or restart. All result in no response except a comment
> about the server is running. The normal green [OK] never shows. If
> accessing through Webmin, it shows the start button and when I try
> clicking on it then the message sgows saying the service is already
> running. monitorring /var/log/messages shows nothing in response.
>
> Rebooting shows no errors, it always comes up running and works very well.
>
> Any ideas? I thought about lock files, but I don't know yet where to
> start looking.
----
No - you are probably suffering through the ravages of different
programs locating different files in different places and the things
that webmin's BIND module does to a file & zonefiles vs what system-
configbind will do to the conf file & zone files are not
interchangeable.

If you look at the file locations specified in /etc/init.d/named, you
will see a reference to {ROOTDIR}

If you look at the file /etc/sysconfig/named you will see comments like:
# Currently, you can use the following options:
# ROOTDIR="/some/where"  --  will run named in a chroot environment.
#                            you must set up the chroot environment
before
#                            doing this.
# OPTIONS="whatever" -- These additional options will be passed to named
#                       at startup. Don't add -t here, use ROOTDIR
instead.

Then if you look at 'module config' options in the BIND module in
Webmin, you will see that everybody doesn't agree with where things are
at.

Since you have webmin working, best to adjust /etc/sysconfig/named to
play along. If you have webmin running 'named' chrooted, - i.e.
named.conf is located in /var/named/chroot/etc directory, then the
'ROOTDIR' in /etc/sysconfig/named should be set to /var/named/chroot

The reason the cli commands to service named restart and such work
properly is because it has to locate the main config file, the zone
files (which are referenced in the main named.conf) and the pid files,
all of which are relocated when named is chrooted.

Craig