Re: Linux sucks? <depending on what you are trying to do!>

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:22:04 -0500, bizzorg <bizzorg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  My favorite Operating system vendor is the one sending me commission or
> royalty checks, since I'm not receiving money from any vendor, I DON'T have
> a favorite.
>
>  I have FC3 installed on my 2nd hard drive.  There are a a few issues I have
> with FC3 that I don't have with Win/XP.
>
>  1.) My Sound Blaster 7.1 is not supported in FC3.

Did a search and no love.  Sorry.

>  2.) FC3 tolerates my Nvidia Geforce video card.  I have not found drivers
> yet.

http://nvidia.com look up the linux drivers -- Then I got thought you
should be able to get the 3D glory from that card even with the open
stuff.

>  3.) I'm running up2date but it's doing NOTHING!  I place my pointer on the
> progress window and all I get is the hourglass.

Sounds like you have never, ever got this to update right?

You can run up2date with the command options but your best option is
probably a good old-fashioned trip to the Terminal and then su - to
root and run a yum update.

Yum is typically way faster.

>  4.) One of my favorite games, Age of Empires is a Windows based game.  I
> supposed if I take the time to learn Wine I can play it on FC3.

Transgaming and wine might be able to help you.

But ... Transgaming does sell linux ports.  Linux Games Publishing I
believe sells native linux games.

I have had good luck with this site but other people have reported trouble.

http://tuxgames.com

At the very least it gives you an idea of the games available in linux.

>  I do like the fact that Spyware or viruses do not infect my system with
> Linux activated.

I like that too.

After being forced for over a year to use a 2000 and now XP laptop at