Re: Subject: Re: Linux sucks?

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:15, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:

> > Instead, XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic
> > detection' goes to work. Good examples are the 3Com cards that have
> > you put a CD in *before* installing the hardware so that the hardware
> > detection can be tweaked or disabled. This wreaks havoc on a reinstall
> > because you end up physically pulling hardware out of the box and
> > trying to put it back in the right order in order to avoid the plug
> > and play from killing the install. On Linux, the cards just work.
> >
> A little funny issue from me too,,,
> Did a webupdate from microsoft on a computer running XP Home yesterday,
> and it did a "upgrade" on a mouse driver (from the microsoft site)
> The update needed a restart, and when I pressed the OK button the PC
> went to the "blue screen". When I rebooted it, it went fine until the XP
> logo showed up, then the computer restarted by it self. And restarted
> and restarted.
> I tryed the "last working setup" from the "rescue screen".... And it
> didn't work either
> In the end I had to reinstall!!

Another fun one is to try to install any flavor of windows on a
box with no floppy and the latest Adaptec scsi controller (i.e.
a typical rack-mount server).  Windows will let you add drivers
during the install, but the only place you can load them is
from a floppy.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx