Re: New install. Partioning advice please.

Nat Gross wrote:
Paul Howarth wrote:

Nat Gross wrote:

On a new FC3 (or FC2) install, on one hard drive, how do I set it up so that certain directory structures do not get erased when installing to a future version of Linux?
And as a follow up question, can I re-partion an existing fc2 system, to allow the same?
I wasn't aware that this was possible, but the FC-3 install notes allows for reading the iso's "from a hard drive location not overwritten by the installation", which prompted this question. This would prove extremely useful of course, not only for the purpose os install iso's.

You do this my making separate partitions for the areas you think you'll want to keep when doing a fresh install (not an upgrade) at a later date. Typically this would be /home and maybe /usr/local.

If you have the ISO images for a new version downloaded to somewhere in one of these partitions, you should be able to install from them, whilst reformatting and reinstalling everything else.

Paul.

Sounds great. One question, can I repartition the existing fc2 /ext3 drive without losing data?

Possibly. It depends on how your system is currently partitioned, how much free space you have and what structure you want to end up with.

Paul.