Re: TurboTax - Linux?

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:37 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
> David Curry wrote:

> >>   Back to the original quesiton, have people tried running
> >> Turbo Tax under wine?  I was going to try it out just for
> >> grins, but have not gotten to it yet.
> >>
> >> Robert Styma
> >>

> > A week or so ago while researching the possibility of using Wine to run
> > TurboTax in FC2 I ran across a couple of messages reporting that this
> > year or last TurboTax software started making changes to the masterboot
> > record when run in Wine.  As a relative linux neophyte, that was enough
> > of a cautionary note to dissuade me from trying it.  I also did not find
> > any clear declaration that people were actually succeeding in running
> > TurboTax under Wine.
> >

> why in the world would the TurboTax app be making any sort of writes,
> let along changes of any kind to the disk's MBR?

Two words: Copy Protection

The copy protection they started using, from macrovision I believe,
wrote information to the MBR the first time it was installed and would
only let you re-install it later if it found the signature.  So a year
later if you tried to install to reprint your forms after upgrading your
hard drive you were out of luck.

Thats why I switched to TaxCut ... no copy protection at all.

Paul