Re: TurboTax - Linux?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Mark Weaver wrote:

David Curry wrote:
STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

Of course. And Turbo Tax for the Web (and all of the other companies) also
use https. I guess the question is: a secure protocol _to what_?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the original quesiton, have people tried running Turbo Tax under wine? I was going to try it out just for grins, but have not gotten to it yet.

Robert Styma

A week or so ago while researching the possibility of using Wine to run TurboTax in FC2 I ran across a couple of messages reporting that this year or last TurboTax software started making changes to the masterboot record when run in Wine. As a relative linux neophyte, that was enough of a cautionary note to dissuade me from trying it. I also did not find any clear declaration that people were actually succeeding in running TurboTax under Wine.

why in the world would the TurboTax app be making any sort of writes, let along changes of any kind to the disk's MBR?

Idiotic copy protection scheme.

BTW, this scheme was so poorly received that they abandoned it the following year.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu