Re: FC1 multiple ethernet interface issue

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 08:38, David Benigni wrote:

> Nothing funny as far as static routes, etc.
>
> > Also try running this command
> >   /sbin/ip route list
> > both before and after you take down eth1.
>
> eth0 up and eth1 down (normal boot):
> 10.1.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
> default via 10.x.y.1 dev eth0
>
> eth0 up and eth1 up (via ifup eth1):
> 10.1.0.0/16 dev eth1  scope link
> 10.1.0.0/16 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.x.y.121
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
> default via 10.x.y.1 dev eth1
>
> eth0 up and eth1 down (via ifdown eth1):
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
>
> eth0 up and eth1 down(via /etc/init.d/network restart):
> 10.1.0.0/16 dev eth0  scope link
> 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
> default via 10.x.y.1 dev eth0
>
> So, looks like the default gw is being removed.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

Unless the IP addresses are munged it looks like you have both
interfaces in the same subnet.  Assuming that is the case for the moment
they probably would use the same default route and when one interface is
shutdown it removes what it believes is its default route which happens
to be the same route for the other interface.

What is it you are trying to do?  I believe there are tools available to
bond the two interfaces together (assuming you have switches capable of
handling that).

A little more information on your network design may be helpful.  And
why do you want to manually bounce the interfaces?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If I were a grave-digger or even a hangman, there are some people I could
work for with a great deal of enjoyment.
		-- Douglas Jerrold