Re: Linux sucks

On 14 Feb 2005, at 12:59, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:48 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

I have an issue working for a friend now where MS support is needed.
My friend entered "DLL Purgatory" because of a defect in a version of
MSVCRT.DLL, used by just about everything on the system. The
Knowledge Base article which discloses the defect announces a hotfix
for the problem. But to get the hotfix, one must place a toll call to
Microsoft and pay the charge for a service call to obtain the fix.

This is the kind of "assurance" Microsoft does offer to customers: pay us for our faulty software. And they feel proud about it when they say Linux offers no protection or assurance. Ouch.

No. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Fedora doesn't offer such protection and assurance

I never made any mention about a concrete Linux distribution. I was talking about MS feeling proud of their "support".

You'd have to buy a "commercial Linux distro" and pay somebody for such
assurance.

Yep, that's pretty clear: Fedora is aimed to enthusiasts and people not willing to pay for support. RHEL, SLES and others are aimed at the enterprise customer.