Re: LVM, resize /, & FC3 defaults

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
On 12 Feb 2005, at 22:23, Jim Cornette wrote:

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

Another problem with having LVM installed by default is the trying to install the next release in text mode does not recognize the LVM based installation.
the LVM is recognized using the GUI installer. This might be similar to what you are running into when using the rescue CD to attempt to resize the drives. A consideration might be to add a parameter to the boot command to load lvm related processes to be able to adjust your lvm sizes to your desired specifications.

Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:

lvm lvscan
lvm vgchange -ay

This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and accessible.

lvm vgchange -an

will deactivate them all.

Since I don't have a linux computer at hand now, (on someone elses XP) do you have to perform the
lvm lvscan
part only before you can chroot /mnt/sysimage when using a system configured with LVM?

You need to run "lvm lvscan" and "lvm vgchange -ay" *before* chrooting into your filesystem. Also, since anaconda won't setup LVM properly, you must manually mount the volumes into their place before begin able to chroot into them.

I take it that the lvm vgchange -ay refers to activating the LVM to allow for changing and the -an deactivates the change.

Right. "lvm vgchange -ay" activates all LVM volumes and places the corresponding device files into /dev/mapper/ and links to them into /dev/Your-Volume-Group-Name.

This explanation lowers my fear about managing an lvm volume. Earlier explanations seemed to make dealing with the lvm volumes seem to be a complicated task. It still seems more complicated than dealing with fdisk and setting up partitions. Then again, fdisk was something that took some reading, familiarization, etc.

Jim

--
"I admit I've done too much playing around without understanding
 the issues involved over the last years as well, but it's time

	- Rik van Riel