Re: Kernel crash

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 14:21 -0800, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:39:58 +0000
> "Chethiya Ranaweera" <ckranaweera@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > >From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > >Subject: Re: Kernel crash
> > >Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:22:04 -0600

> > >kernel,

> > >Unless I am missing something, he never has said that he is not using
> > >the nvidia driver. In fact he has avoided your suggestion to change the
> > >driver in xorg.conf, and is blaming hte nvidia driver for the problem.
> > >
> > >As I read his messages, nothing has been said until now about
> > >recompiling/reinstalling which is needed for new kernel releases.

> > Thanks for help guys,
> > Yes, I am using nvidia drivers with the old kernel which works fine. You
> > told me to make a change in xorg.conf from nvidia to nv. When I looked it
> > was already set to nv and now we know it is not the problem.
> >
> > Well now I have another question since I am a newbie. I have downloaded the
> > latest nvidia drivers. And I want to recompile them to the new kernel as you
> > have suggested. But how can I boot the new kernel into run level 3? Please
> > give me the commands and I will try your suggestions.
> >

> > --
>
> You can boot into runlevel 3 by appending a 3 to the kernel boot line. Hit e
> to edit then at the end of the line but a space then 3.
> If you want to permanently boot into run level 3 edit /etc/inittab. The line:
> id:5:initdefault: should be changed to
> id:3:initdefault:
> --
> Richard E Miles
> Federal Way WA. USA
> registered linux user 46097

I think the OP should get past the kudzu issue before trying anything
new.  In run level 3, no graphics drivers should be coming into play,
but kudzu seems to be hanging.

FYI, it looks like kudzu has a 30 second timeout should detection hang.
Obviously if the computer is crashing that does not matter.

Chethiya, did you wait more than 30 seconds for hardware detection to
complete?  Sometimes it takes a while.  Do the keyboard lights flash
after the system stops?  If so, boot into an older kernel and take a
look through /var/log/messages for any oops that may have occurred
during the boot that failed.

One last thing, try booting an older kernel and run /sbin/chkconfig
kudzu off, then reboot.  This should stop kudzu from running at boot
time and allow you to get running at, hopefully, run level 3 so you can
get the nvidia driver recompiled.  From what has transpired so far, I
don't think the nvidia (their's or xorg's) drivers are your problem.

memtest86 from the Fedora boot CD may also reveal problems.

Bob...