Re: Kernel crash

From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel crash
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:22:04 -0600

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:59 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 14:40 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > IIRC, when the kernel is updated, the nvidia driver must be recomplied
> > for the new kernel.
> >
> > you can boot to run level 3, recompile the drivers under the new kernel,
> > and you should have it fixed.
> >
> That's correct but he claims NOT to be using nvidia drivers in
> xorg.conf.

Unless I am missing something, he never has said that he is not using
the nvidia driver. In fact he has avoided your suggestion to change the
driver in xorg.conf, and is blaming hte nvidia driver for the problem.

As I read his messages, nothing has been said until now about
recompiling/reinstalling which is needed for new kernel releases.

> --

Thanks for help guys,
Yes, I am using nvidia drivers with the old kernel which works fine. You told me to make a change in xorg.conf from nvidia to nv. When I looked it was already set to nv and now we know it is not the problem.

Well now I have another question since I am a newbie. I have downloaded the latest nvidia drivers. And I want to recompile them to the new kernel as you have suggested. But how can I boot the new kernel into run level 3? Please give me the commands and I will try your suggestions.