Re: usb storage devices

On Friday 11 February 2005 2:48 am, Ankush Grover wrote:
> hey,
>
> try to update the default kernel with FC3 and also hotplug utility .I
> think after that your system will detect the USB devices.
>
> Regards
>
> Ankush

Hello, Ankush
Even before I sent my last message to this list, I was completely up to date.
I am running the latest stable kernel update: kernel-2.6.10-1.760_FC3
I am also running the latest stable update of hotplug: hotplug-2004_04_01-8.1
As I mentioned, I was running both of these when I sent my last message.
Also, my problem is that my devices dissappear, not that they are not
detected.  If I unplug a device that has "dissappeared" and plug it into a
different USB2 port, it is immediately detected.  Also, if I unplug a device
and plug it back into the same port (I've only tried that after waiting a few
minutes), the device magically reappears.  I can't remember though if the
device is actually functional.  Also, I am now running a PCI USB2 card, and
I've been using the burner successfully ever since.  I just tried to use our
scanner while it was plugged into that PCI USB2 card, and I ended up having
to reboot about five times.  When I plugged it back into one of the front
USB2 ports on our machine (this port is connected directly to the mainboard
instead of being a PCI card) the strangest thing happened: I could finally
scan without the scanner hanging.  I hate to do it, but I think I will take
the scanner to a machine that I have access to that runs Windows XP.  I will
see how it behaves...
If there is a development or testing kernel or hotplug RPM that you think I
should try, please let me know.
Again, our devices get detected and re-detected just fine, the problem is that
they just dissappear....

Steven P. Ulrick