Re: Display goes bad, seemingly randomly, during install of FC3

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but which file(s) do I have to edit to check/correct this information?

In FC3, check /etc/X11/xorg.conf
BE REAL CAREFUL IF YOU MANUALLY MANIPULATE THIS FILE. I do it all the time. :-)

Reading it isn't exactly intuitive, but you can make out what's going on if you relax your mind a bit an not try to concentrate on every nuance. The "Monitor" section is what you want to look at (obviously). Get the specs for the monitor and match those up with the listed HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters.

You can have multiple Monitor Sections, as each has a name via the Identifier parameter. Similarly, you can have multiple Screen Sections as they also have an identifier. The "ServerLayout" Section determines which screen to use and that screen determines which monitor to use. By massaging this file, you can have a single box support various configurations by selecting which Sections get used when X comes up. Those sections not used are just excess baggage for that incarnation and can be considered comments.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill@xxxxxxx