Re: Problem with smb shares.

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:12:12AM -0600, David Hoffman wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:23:44 +0100, Roger Grosswiler <roger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:
> > >
> > > Well here is the deal. The managers of the system put users, faculty,
> > > etc. in different subdirectories. When I use the first smbmount I
> > > mount not the directory of csldap1 but the directory of all the
> > > home directories of users of the system. I might be able to live with
> > > that but it is annoying. Not to make a value judgement but MAC OS X
> > > allows you to mount  using the share: //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1
> > > to mount only the home directory of csldap1.
> > i see 2 problems here:
> > a) we are not using mac os x
> > b) i can deal with userdirectories without mounting the main-share for
> > all, if i put in my /etc/smb.conf the following for my user-shares:
> >
> > [homes]
> >    comment = Home Directories
> >    path = /users/%U
> >    guest ok = no
> >    browseable = yes
> >    writable = yes
> >    create mask = 775
> >
> > i have all my userdirs in a directory called users. I share all the
> > homes with the %U afterwards, so if i user loggs in, the %U gets
> > replaced by its user name - voil?, this works. Putting browseable=no
> > hides the /users-share too. Still not perfect (would like to load a
> > server-side-login-batch on linux too..) but even more elegant than
> > having all shares seen by everybody.
> >
> > HTH
> > Roger
> >

> Roger, I think you have it backwards. He is not trying to share user
> directories on his FC3 machine. He is trying to mount shares on a
> Windows machine to his FC3 machine.
>
> So the user shares are on the windows machine and he wants to connect
> to the windows shares with Fedora.
>
> It's not a question of setting up Samba, as that would provide shares
> from Fedora TO windows.

You are absolutely correct in your analysis of what I want to do. So
can it be done?

I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
smbmount will not.

"I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience.  And
in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the
additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.
- Carl Sagan, The Burden Of Skepticism, The Skeptical Inquirer, Vol. 12, Fall 87
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.