Re: Problem with smb shares.

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:08:07PM +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:13, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I know someone is going to tell me that google will give me the answer
but I am burdened with too much information already so I will ask this
anyway.

Since W2k shares can have more than two levels but evidently not in
the smbmount that I am using so I can say:
smbmount //trinity-tiger/users .....
but not:
smbmount //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 ...

What's the problem with the first command? Why do you want to mount a subdirectory of a share instead of mounting the share directly?

Well here is the deal. The managers of the system put users, faculty, etc. in different subdirectories. When I use the first smbmount I mount not the directory of csldap1 but the directory of all the home directories of users of the system. I might be able to live with that but it is annoying. Not to make a value judgement but MAC OS X allows you to mount using the share: //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 to mount only the home directory of csldap1.
i see 2 problems here:
a) we are not using mac os x
b) i can deal with userdirectories without mounting the main-share for all, if i put in my /etc/smb.conf the following for my user-shares:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /users/%U
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   create mask = 775

i have all my userdirs in a directory called users. I share all the homes with the %U afterwards, so if i user loggs in, the %U gets replaced by its user name - voilà, this works. Putting browseable=no hides the /users-share too. Still not perfect (would like to load a server-side-login-batch on linux too..) but even more elegant than having all shares seen by everybody.

HTH
Roger