Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 10:53, Paul Howarth wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

The one thing I could see as an improvement over the current mailing
list and bugzilla for fedora users would be to add a wiki that would
be maintained mostly by a team of volunteers who would collate the
frequently-asked questions on the list into stock answers on the
wiki.  Then much of the clutter on the mailling list could be avoided
by searching the wiki first, and if new users don't  recognize the
symptoms well enough to find the answer themselves, the mailing list
response would only have to be a pointer to the wiki entry.

These new users would be the same people that don't read fedorafaq.org, wouldn't they?

You mean that page that was last updated in December, has a total
of 15 problems and solutions, and no way for someone to add solutions
or downloadable attachments?  I can see why it isn't so popular...

Actually it was last updated yesterday but your other points are still valid.

Nevertheless, it does answer the often-asked questions about NTFS and bootable floppies, yet there's no end to the number of people still asking *those* questions.

But it makes the answers easy if all you have to supply is a
link to an up to date page. I've seen wiki's work for several
other projects - it just takes a certain critical mass for it to
become the preferred place to look and submit updates.

Has to be worth a try I think.

Paul.