Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:32:44PM -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:

I still don't get why are Web forums so dreaded, but that's just me... I haven't seen a *single* reason why not to make it so... Unless, of

They tend to have very poor interfaces, with no threading, and no good way of keeping track of what posts you've read and which you haven't. Most basically present a "spreadsheet" of posts.

I just don't get why people don't like the web forums idea... Maybe a private NTTP server would be more suitable for this, where Red Hat could even set the caducity of messages. You still need a helper application to read the messages like Evolution, Thunderbird or whatever, and still avoid having *your* inbox flooded.

With any half-decent mail client/environment, the fedora lists don't need to go to your inbox.

But I think the *best* solution is an NNTP backend with an available web
front end, because I recognize that many people don't know any better. *big
grin*

Don't get me wrong I see this list with Thunderbird set to re-direct all fedora* mail to a Fedora directory under my local folders directory, but I'm also an avid web-forums reader of variuos communities, and have never had any trouble with say V-Bulletin (yeah, I know their fame) message boards, even on some servers with as high traffic as our list here. I guess it's up to the site admins to set a good set of options for archiving and a good search tool (with an *SQL backend most probably) to make it easy for the users to find what they're looking for. In any case, since I use both interfaces to many communities I periodically check, I'm comfortable with any of that... Still I think that the NNTP server with both a web-PHP and usual client interface is the best bet and would provide the best control for Red Hat to administer too.