Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:32:44PM -0600, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> I still don't get why are Web forums so dreaded, but that's just me... I
> haven't seen a *single* reason why not to make it so... Unless, of

They tend to have very poor interfaces, with no threading, and no good way
of keeping track of what posts you've read and which you haven't. Most
basically present a "spreadsheet" of posts.

> I just don't get why people don't like the web forums idea... Maybe a
> private NTTP server would be more suitable for this, where Red Hat could
> even set the caducity of messages. You still need a helper application
> to read the messages like Evolution, Thunderbird or whatever, and still
> avoid having *your* inbox flooded.

With any half-decent mail client/environment, the fedora lists don't need to
go to your inbox.

But I think the *best* solution is an NNTP backend with an available web
front end, because I recognize that many people don't know any better. *big
grin*

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--