Re: Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:00:37 -1000, Warren Togami <wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

D. D. Brierton wrote:

I've been a RHL and FC user for quite some time. I've been on the
mailing lists, and had bugzilla accounts for a long time now. But this
mailing list is strangling itself. The volume is way too high. Look at
the beginning of the Fedora Project and see how many Red Hat engineers
regularly posted to this list, and now look at how many do (Tim Waugh
and Dave Jones make an occasional appearance here these days, and we're
lucky to have them). That's it. Who's driven them away? WE HAVE.

Totally in agreement, please read my post on this subject here.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/2005/02/04/

Key to the problem is that mailing lists are far from the best medium
for end-user support.  We need to steer end-users to an entirely
different medium in order to scale effectively.  Official project change
in that direction is happening soon.  Read the link above for details.

while I agree with the problem, I dont agree with the solution. forums are going to worsen the problem rather than resolve it. what we need is a good set of guidelines thats *documented* well in an official manner

while the community itself can enforce these guidelines, it needs more
official direction from the fedora project

Hi,

I agree. Personally, I learned *a lot* from this list, but I'm sure I'd just have given up it it was a web forum. They just plain suck. A *much* better solution would just be to make it a usenet discussion group.

By the way, what is the problem with having too many users here? isn't this the fedora-/users/ group? If there are too many user/dumb questions, maybe you could just start a usenet called /fedora-help/ or something like it. Then the /fedora-users/ title would be preserved for the other discussions...

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student