Static Kernel booting issues... for server oriented custome kernel

Ran in to a fascinating problem,

Background:
  I need a custome compiled kernel that is static.. (i.e. all drivers built into the kernel... not modular) for a server system that is being built.
  I have generated 2 kernels:
    1 with module loading enabled.
    1 with module loading disabled.
For the server system the kernel will be deployed on module loading must be disabled.

Problem:
  If I try to boot the kernel with module loading disabled and the boot process halts with failure to open initial console.  But,  I boot the kernel with module loading enabled, and the boot proceeds fine everything functions.

  The problem may be in the way udev is setup in the fedora core 3 initialization.

Questions:
1) Has anyone tried turning module loading off and booted
   successfully?  If so I would appreciate knowing how you
   solved the boot problem I have run into.
2) Does anyone have a fix or suggestions of a fix for the
   sysinit scripts for the system.

Thanks for any suggestions...
D. Lissimore

--