Re: Slightly OT: Greylisting success or failure stories?

David Cary Hart wrote:
On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:16 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
Not all users have luxuriy of having SMTP server doing authentication on port 587 (plus, some ISP might block that one too). Plus you need support in mail client to connect to port other than 25 (not all support it).

We've beaten this to death but we authenticate SMTP with SASL AuthD (as do many ISPs). This does not require additional ports.

However, it does not work from ISPs that block outbound port 25 connections, which is why port 587 is recommended for this purpose.

Anyone seeing port 587 blocked is probably behind a corporate firewall that is blocking everything bar port 80 maybe, and should respect that company's policy of not allowing outbound mail from their network.

Webmail is nice, but not all people like it. It is especially inconvinient for people who use POP3 to get their mail. Again, in this hypothetical situation, you are forcing legitimate sender's to deal with your spam problem (just like with TDMA, maybe even a bit worse).

Roaming users aren't the issue. This pertains exclusively to a third
party contact that happens to be traveling in a banned area and needs to
send email. In that event, when that occurs, I'll deal with it.

The traveling third party is, by definition, a roaming user. Not *your* roaming user, but a roaming user nonetheless. It's up to that user's organization to provide them with usable email connectivity.

Meanwhile, 100% of the email that we have ever received from servers in
China and Korea has been spam. We have no business reason to accept mail
from either area. We also refuse email from dynamic IPs. They should use
their ISP's SMTP. We ban mail from exploited servers and open proxies. A
large MIS service company (a former vendor) has apparently been
infected. Presumably, a computer on their LAN has become a zombie and is
sending spam to the corporate mailing list. That's banned as well.

We're not an ISP. My machine - my rules. End of story.

Indeed.

It wouldn't work for me though. First of all, my wife is Chinese and hence my server gets plenty of legitimate mail from China. Secondly, I myself get lots of unsolicited mail from people I've never been in contact with before, for a variety of reasons, and I wouldn't want to miss that mail. So blocking whole countries is completely out of the question for me.

It really does boil down to what your needs are and what you're prepared to miss out on to get a spam-free inbox.

Paul.