Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Kevin Fries wrote:

David L Norris wrote:

|On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 20:24 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
|
|>I am trying to get a Microtek X12 USL scanner attached, and udev fails
|>to mount it, every time.  Has anyone tried uninstalling udev and
|>reinstalling devfs to stop all these damn usb failures?
|>
|>If so, any hints on how not to make your system unstable?
|

|File a bug report that clearly describes the problem?
|
|I'm not sure what USB has to do with a SCSI scanner...  But, I have many

the X12 is both USB and SCSI-2

|USB devices all connected at once that work perfectly fine: Hard disk,
|HP tape drive, 6-in-1 card reader, Imation Superdisk (Macintosh
|software-eject version), CD-RW, usb-to-parallel printer converter,
|Kensington USB mouse, and a USB-PS/2 keyboard/mouse adapter.

Definitely not my experience or that of several others.  I have had
intermittent issues with keyboard and mice, but usually only during
the boot process.  However, USB flash sticks have had more bugs filed
against them than there are stars in the sky.  My experience with
flash sticks are that only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sticks work with
some manufacturers (My Lexar is perfect, but some no-names rarely
work) better than others.  The problem 100% of the time is with that
damn udev system, it just is not fully cooked.  While user space
mounting of devices are definitely the way to go, udev is not ready.
It should be reserved to 2.7 and a working system put in place.

We use memory sticks around work and I have had problems loading some on my computer with FC1. In one case I went to the Manufacturers site and found that the file system has to be re-created to work with Linux. Their users documentation actually states this.

FWIW, I have the odd lockup with FC1 and USB from time to time.
--
Robin Laing